- Mobile Systems: Mobile Sensing, Localization, Context-Awareness, Human-Computer Interaction
- Cloud and Big Data: Cloud Computing, Big Data Analytics, Software-Defined Ecosystem
- Sensing and Communication: Sensing hardware, Signal Processing, Wireless Communication
- Internet of Things and Cyber-Physical Systems: Networking, Embedded Systems, IoT Security
- Social Network and Privacy: Mobile Social Network, Crowd Sourcing/Sensing, Location/Big Data/Media Privacy
- Designed and developed multiple working systems (hardware, software) from scratch.
- Multiple NSF Grant Applications (Entrepreneurial Leader for NSF I-Corps).
- The representative (No.1) team award for the NSF I-Corps cohort (Bay Area, Winter)
- Published 15 papers, signed one book contract (CRC Press).
- Filed 3 patents (3 technology licensees), another 2 in application.
- 4.0 GPA with the certificate of Outstanding Achievement three times.
- 2013 and 2014 Apple WWDC Student Scholarship winner.
- 2014 Innovator Award from the Office of Technology Licensing (OTL) at the University of Florida.
- Supervised >30 graduate students; Engineering Entrepreneurial Supervision (>12 students).
- Ranked No.1 with “Guorui” scholarship during M.S.; Recipient of National Scholarship of China in 2007.
|Nanjing University of Science & Technology (NUST)||Electrical Engineering||B.S., 2004-2008|
|University of Science and Technology of China (USTC)||Electrical Science & Technology||M.S., 2008-2011|
|University of Florida (UF)||Electrical & Computer Engineering||M.S., 2011-2013|
|University of Florida (UF)||Electrical & Computer Engineering||Ph.D., 2011-now|
- 2014 Summer Internship, Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories, Cambridge, MA
- Working on task and sleep scheduling, IPv6 based energy-efficient routing for Internet of Things (IoT) (submitted one patent and one paper)
- Guoguo: Enabling Smartphone-based Fine-grained Indoor Localization, Project Leader. [More]
- a) A complete smartphone sensing ecosystem (code-named Guoguo) from ground-up to fill the long-lasting gap of indoor localization with centimeter-level accuracy.
- b) Consists of a set of miniature indoor positioning satellites (IPS), an app on a smartphone for opportunistic beacon sensing, and a cloud server for offloading heavy processing, location services and content management.
- c) Four papers accepted, one patent licensed by three companies; System video demo in MobiSys 2013, Taipei.
- NSF I-Corps: Commercialization Feasibility Research and Implementation for Smartphone Localization via Indoor Positioning Satellites and Opportunistic Sensing, Entrepreneurial Leader. [More]
- InAR: Smartphone on Steroids with Indoor Augmented Reality, Project Leader. [More]
- a) Smartphone-based indoor augmented reality includes accurate attitude, pose and location estimation, sensor fusion approaches via computer vision.
Cloud and Big Data
- GatorCloud: SDN-enabled Campus Cloud (Funded by over $2M from NSF) [More]
- a) First SDN-enabled campus cloud on the fastest campus networks with 200Gbps gateway to the Internet2.
- b) Cloud Infrastructure design via Openstack and Openflow.
- c) Big data analytic engine design based on Hadoop and Spark.
- NSF GemsCloud: A GENI-Federated Cyber-Physical System with Multi-Modalities [More]
- a) Enhance the NSF GENI platform (global environment for network innovation) with richer modalities, including sensors, robots, and RFIDs.
- CloudGC: A Scalable Algorithm for Complex Graph Clustering, Project Leader. [More]
- a) Scalable clustering algorithm based on Hadoop and Mahout platform.
- b) Large scale community detection for Twitter (obtained results within 8h for 40 million users).
Social Network and Privacy
- ToGathor: The Mobile Social Network with Missions, Project Leader. (Funded by NSF) [More]
- a) We design a hybrid cyberphysical mobile social network (wearable tags, cyber-physical groups and high scalability cloud server) that uses the physical properties in an interactive, reactive, and proactive manner beyond the conventional static manner.
- b) One patent filed; applied NSF STTR grant; Start-up company: ToGathor LLC
- Mobile Crowd Sourcing/Sensing (MCS), Project Leader. [More]
- a) Leveraging crowds of smartphone and our own designed wearable tag, we target the application of finding and locating the lost child in crowds via Mobile Crowd Sensing.
- b) One paper accepted: IEEE MASS14
- Improving Location Service via Social Collaboration, Project Leader. [More]
- a) One paper accepted: IEEE MASS13
- iShare: Enabling Private Media Sharing in the Clouds, Project Leader.
- a) We propose to design efficient and privacy-preserving solutions (collectively called iShare) to achieve format-compliant, compression-independent and correlation-preserving for media sharing/storing issues in big data, clouds, and mobile platforms.
- b) One paper accepted; One paper submitted; Applied Google Faculty Award.
Health and Emergency Care
- VitalCloud: Weaving a Pervasive Life Network for Healthcare [More]
- a) Integrate hardware, software, and advanced algorithms to solve: 1) Active Sensing and Data Fusion with MIMO Micro-Radars; 2) Design mixed cooperative sensing algorithms; 3) Build the VitalCloud hardware and software testbed; 4) Design and implement the VitalCloud runtime management system and services.
- UWB Through-the-wall Detection and Communication System Demonstration, 863 High-Tech Program, MOST of China, No.2009AA011204. [More]
- a) Lead the team on hand-held through-the-wall Ultra-Wideband (UWB) radar network design and implementation for searching and rescuing disaster victims.
- b) One demo system (8 stations), five papers accepted, one patent.
Internet of Things and Cyber-Physical Systems
- Battery-aware energy-efficient routing for Internet of Things (IoT), Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories
- a) Worked on task and sleep scheduling, IPv6 based energy-efficient routing.
- b) Submitted one paper and one patent.
- Development of UWB SOC and Demo Test-Bed, 863 High-Tech Program, MOST of China, No.2007AA01Z2B2. [More]
- a) Built a high-speed digital signal processing platform (32Gbps) featuring parallel FPGA and DSP that lead to China’s first UWB network and SOC.
- Research on Impulse Radio Mono-bit Receiver, Supported by National Nature Science Foundation of China (NSFC), No. 60802008.
- a) Designed a novel UWB receiver architecture for compact hybrid communication and radar devices.
- b) Three papers accepted, one patent.
- Performance Evaluation and Optimization of Multi-core ARM and DSP Architecture, Project Leader. [More]
- a) Porting Android to Beagleboard via TI C6EZ; Exploit the DSP, NEON and ARM for computation optimization.
- Liu, K., Li, M. and Li, X. (2015) “Hiding Media Data via Shaders: Enabling Private Sharing in the Clouds.” The 8th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD 2015). (Accepted, acceptance: 17%).
- Liu, K., and Li, X. (2015) “Enabling Context-Aware Indoor Augmented Reality via Smartphone Sensing and Vision Tracking,” ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications (TOMM). (Accepted)
- Liu, K., and Li, X. (2014) “FindingNemo: Locating Lost Children via Mobile Crowd Sensing.” IEEE Trans on Computers (TC) (under review).
- Liu, K., Liu, X., and Li, X. (2014) “Guoguo: Enabling Fine-grained Smartphone Localization via Acoustic Anchors.” IEEE Trans on Mobile Computing (TMC). [pdf]
- Liu, K., and Li, X. (2014) “FindingNemo: Finding Your Lost Child in Crowds via Mobile Crowd Sensing.” The 11th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS 2014), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Acceptance: 48/181 = 26.5%) [pdf]
- Liu, K., Huang, Q., et al, (2013) “Improving GPS Service via Social Collaboration.” The 10th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS 2013), Hangzhou, China. (Acceptance: 55/186 = 29.6%) [IEEE Xplore] [pdf]
- Liu, K., Liu, X., and Li, X. (2013) “Guoguo: Enabling Fine-grained In-door Localization via Smartphone.” The 11th ACM International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services (MobiSys 2013), Taipei, Taiwan. (Acceptance: 33/210 = 15.7%) [ACM Library] [pdf]
- Liu, K., and Li, X. (2013) “Guoguo: Smartphone-based High-precision Indoor Location Ecosystem and Services.” MobiSys 2013 Ph.D Forum, Taipei, Taiwan. [pdf]
- Liu, X., Liu, K., Guo, L., Li, X., and Fang., Y, A Game-Theoretic Approach for Achieving k-Anonymity in Location Based Services, The 32nd IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2013). (Acceptance: 280/1613 = 17.4%)
- Liu, K., Li, X., et al, (2013) “Towards Accurate Acoustic Localization on a Smartphone.” The 32st IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2013) Mini-Conference, Turin, Italy. (Acceptance: 21%) [IEEE Xplore] [pdf]
- Liu, K., Liu, X., and Li, X. (2012) “Acoustic Ranging and Communication via Microphone Channel.” IEEE GLOBECOM 2012, Anaheim California, USA. (Acceptance: 966/2560 = 37.7%) [IEEE Xplore] [pdf]
- Liu, K., Yin, H., and Chen, W. (2011) “Low Complexity Tri-level Sampling Receiver Design for UWB Time-of-Arrival Estimation.” in Proc. Int. Conf. Communication(ICC2011), Kyoto, Japan. (Acceptance: 1093/2838 = 38.5%) [IEEE Xplore] [pdf]
- Liu, K., Xu, H., et al, (2010) “Odd-Symmetry Template Based Three-Step Detector for IR-UWB Detection.” in Proc. Int. Conf. Ultra-Wideband(ICUWB2010), Nanjing, China, Sep. 2010, vol. 2, pp. 615-618. [IEEE Xplore] [pdf]
- Liu, K., Xu, H., Chen, W., “Finite-Resolution Receiver Performance for IR-UWB Target Detection.” in Proc. Int. Conf. Signal Processing and Communication Systems(ICSPCS2010), Gold Coast, Australia, Dec. 2010. [IEEE Xplore] [pdf]
- Liu, K., Ren, J, et al, (2010) “A Practical UWB TOA Estimator in the Presence of Interference and NLOS.” in Proc. Int. Conf. Signal Processing(ICSP2010), Beijing, China, Oct. 2010. [IEEE Xplore] [pdf]
- Xu, H., Liu, K., Ma Yunfei, Wang Dongjin, Chen Weidong, “An Improved IPCP Detector of UWB Radar Signals Based on Adaptive Searching Window,” in Proc. Int. Conf. Ultra-Wideband(ICUWB2010), Nanjing, China, Sep. 2010.
- Xu, H., Liu, K., Wang Dongjing, Chen Weidong, “The Effect of Timing Jitter to the Radar Detection Performance,” in Journal of Science and Technology of China (ISSN 0253-2778), 2011. (In Chinese)
- Hao, J., Liu, K., Jingjing Ren, Guanghua Lu, Weidong Chen, “IR-UWB radar signal sampling and reconstruction based on step-delay pulses,” Electrical and Control Engineering (ICECE), Sept. 2011.
- Li, X., Liu, K., “Apparatus, method, and software systems for smartphone-based fine-grained indoor localization,” (WO 2014089040 A1) (Licensed by three companies). [Google Patent] [WIPO] [News]
- Li, X., Liu, K., “Dynamic User-Defined Check-In Points,” No. 62/066,436. [Filing Receipt]
- Guo, J., Liu, K., et al, “Energy Efficient Management of Heterogeneous Multi-Hop Wireless Network,” MERL-2789
- Li, X., Liu, K., “Apparatus and Method for Indoor Positioning Satellites,” UF# 14496.
- Liu, K., et al,“Receiving apparatus for ultra wideband impulse signal and ultra wideband impulse radar system,”(CN 102360070 B). [Google Patent] [Chinese]
Awards and Grants
- The representative (No.1) team award for the 2015 NSF I-Corps cohort (Bay Area, Winter).
- 2014 Innovator Award from the Office of Technology Licensing (OTL) at the University of Florida.
- Apple WWDC Student Scholarship, 2013 and 2014.
- Travel Grant from the ACM MobiSys 2013, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Travel Grant from the IEEE MASS 2013 and 2014.
- Certificate of Outstanding Achievement, University of Florida International Center, 2014, 2013, 2012.
- The 14, 15, 16th GENI Engineering Conference Travel Grant
- National Scholarship of China.
- “Guorui” Scholarship in EEIS of USTC.
- Excellent Graduate Student of NUST.
- Outstanding Student Scholarship (NUST) — three times.
- “Spansion” Scholarship.
- Supervision of Independent Study at UF (more than 20 Master students)
- Project Supervision of Guoguo, ToGathor, GatorCloud, GEMSCloud, VitalCloud at UF (more than 25 members in total)
- Technical Advisor for an undergraduate startup project (One CEO, six engineering students, six business students)
- Administrating Apple University Program at UF, lecturing and instructing iOS programming for Master students
- Teaching assistant for Cyber-Physical Systems, Cloud Computing and Storage at UF
- Teaching assistant for Circuit Design, Wireless Communication at USTC
- National Project (million level) Supervision at USTC for IR-UWB SOC and Demonstration (more than 15 students)
- TPC Member for the Data Center & Big Data track, the 24th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks.
- Reviewer for IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (IEEE JSAC) (2014)
- Reviewer for IEEE Internet of Things Journal (IEEE IoT) (2014)
- Reviewer for IEEE TMC 2014, TPDS 2013, TWireless 2012
- Reviewer for INFOCOM 2015, 2014, 2013
- Reviewer for UbiComp 2013, GLOBECOME 2013, PECON 2012, MASS 2012
- Software Design: Objective C and Swift, C#, C++/C, MATLAB, Java, NesC, TCL(OTCL), PHP, Python, AWK.
- Platform: iOS/Android, ns2(ns3), Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, Kafaka, MySQL, MongoDB, CoachDB, Redis, Sliex Micro-Framework, Amazon AWS, Apache Mahout, Microsoft .NET.
- Hardware Design: Cadence Allegro, Protel/Altium Schematic and PCB Design, FPGA, VHDL, DSP and ARM, MSP430, CCS, Embedded Real-time OS, Android/Linux Customize, SYS/BIOS, BLE, OpenWRT.